For many people, fresh homemade pasta is the pinnacle of Italian cuisine. However, kneading and rolling dough by hand can be tedious and time consuming. What if you could prepare restaurant-quality pasta in minutes right in your kitchen? The Emeril Lagasse Pasta and Power Base aims to make homemade pasta fast, easy, and delicious. But does this countertop appliance live up to its claims?
With interchangeable discs for spaghetti, fettuccine, and other shapes, it promises effortless pasta making for beginners and experts alike. In this blog post, we’ll explore Emeril Lagasse pasta maker reviews to see if it’s worth the cost. Does it replicate the smooth, tender texture of handmade pasta? Can it churn out batch after batch without overheating? We’ll uncover the pros, cons, and key features of the Emeril Lagasse pasta maker to help you determine if it’s the right solution for your homemade pasta cravings.
Let’s explore what makes this pasta maker tick
Powerful Motor Does All the Work
At the heart of the Pasta and Beyond is a powerful 180-watt motor. When it’s switched on, this motor rotates the pasta roller and cutting blades to knead, extrude, and cut pasta dough into the shape of your choice. You don’t have to worry about cranking any handles or applying pressure. Just let the motor do all the hard work while you focus on achieving pasta perfection.
Interchangeable Rollers for Customizable Pasta
One of my favorite things about this pasta maker is its versatility. It comes with three interchangeable pasta rollers that allow you to choose from eight thickness settings, ranging from paper-thin lasagna sheets to thick pappardelle ribbons.
The angel hair roller extrudes super slim spaghetti strands. The spaghetti/fettuccine roller is perfect for classic pasta shapes. And the wide lasagna/pappardelle roller lets you make flat noodles or extra wide fettuccine.
With these three rollers, you can make just about any homemade pasta shape you crave. The possibilities are endless!
Built-In Cutters Give You Precision
Shaping the pasta dough is only half the battle – you also need to cut it into consistent lengths. The Pasta and Beyond have built-in cutters that attach right onto the rollers to cut pasta strands, lasagna sheets or pappardelle into uniform pieces.
No more messy, uneven knife work! The cutters slice the pasta quickly and accurately for professional restaurant-quality results.
Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker instructions
To use the Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker, follow these steps:
- Choose a pasta disc. The pasta maker comes with eight different pasta discs, so you can make a variety of different pasta shapes. To choose a pasta disc, simply press it onto the front of the auger sleeve.
- Prepare the pasta dough. You can use your favorite pasta dough recipe, or follow the recipe that comes with the pasta maker. Once the dough is ready, divide it into two batches.
- Add the ingredients to the mixing chamber. Add the flour and salt to the mixing chamber, and close the lid. Then, beat the eggs and add them to the liquid measuring container. Add the olive oil and water to the liquid measuring container until you reach the 150-mL line. Stir to mix all the wet ingredients.
- Select a batch size. Press the Batch Button once to select one batch, or twice to select two batches.
- Start the pasta maker. Press the Power Button to start the pasta maker. The pasta maker will begin mixing the dough.
- Add the liquid ingredients. While the pasta maker is mixing, slowly add the liquid ingredients to the mixing chamber through the slot in the lid.
- Extrude the pasta. Once the dough has finished mixing, the pasta maker will automatically begin extruding the pasta. You can use the spatula tool to cut the pasta to the desired length.
- Cook the pasta. Once the pasta is extruded, cook it according to your favorite recipe.
Make Pasta Dough in Minutes
Thanks to the fast, powerful motor, this pasta maker allows you to mix and knead fresh pasta dough to perfection right in the base.
To make dough, simply add your flour, eggs, and any other ingredients to the non-stick aluminum mixing chamber. Turn it on, and in just minutes you’ll have a smooth, elastic dough ball ready for rolling and cutting.
The mixing paddle does an amazing job of kneading the dough thoroughly without overworking it. Making dough by hand can be time-consuming and messy – so I love how easy this machine makes it.
Foolproof Pasta in 3 Simple Steps
With the Pasta and Beyond, making homemade pasta is a breeze and takes just three easy steps:
1. Make the dough in the mixing chamber
2. Attach your choice of pasta roller and thickness setting
3. Feed the dough through to shape, then attach the cutter head to cut into perfect noodles
It doesn’t get much simpler than that! The pasta maker takes care of the effort of kneading, rolling and cutting for you. All you have to do is combine the ingredients and press a button.
Even on busy weeknights when I’m short on time, I can whip up a fresh pasta meal that tastes like I’ve been laboring over it for hours. Italian nonnas everywhere would surely approve!
Fun Pasta Shapes to Try
One of my favorite pasta recipes to make in this machine is classic fettuccine, Alfredo. The smooth, rich sauce coats each tender noodle perfectly.
But I’ve also had fun experimenting with other shapes like:
– Thin spaghetti tossed with a quick tomato basil sauce
– Chewy pappardelle paired with a hearty Bolognese
– Lasagna sheets layered with meaty ragu and cheese
– Fusilli spirals covered in pesto
– Farfalle bow ties in a creamy vodka sauce
The shaping disks make it easy to swap out rollers and cutters, allowing me to get creative with different pasta forms. My inner carb lover is swooning!
Tips for Pasta Perfection
Want your homemade pasta to turn out picture-perfect every time? Here are my top tips:
– Use 00 flour or semolina flour, which have high gluten content for elastic dough. All-purpose flour works too.
– Knead the dough only until smooth – over-kneading can make pasta tough.
– Dust pasta dough with flour before rolling to prevent sticking.
– Start on thicker settings first, then gradually decrease for thin pasta.
– Cut pasta strands immediately after rolling for best results.
– Air dry pasta for a few hours before cooking to prevent sticking.
With a little practice, you’ll be churning out restaurant-caliber pasta like a pro!
One downside of homemade pasta is dealing with the mess it leaves behind. But clean-up is fast and simple with the Pasta and Beyond, thanks to its detachable, dishwasher-safe parts.
The plastic housing wipes down easily, and both the mixing chamber and rollers can go right in the dishwasher after use. A quick rinse under water keeps the cutters clean too.
After I’m done using this pasta maker, my kitchen looks almost as spotless as it did before. Now that’s something I can get used to!
Should You Buy the Emeril Lagasse Pasta and Beyond?
If you’re on the fence about purchasing the Emeril Lagasse Pasta and Beyond, here’s my two cents:
Yes, it comes with a higher price tag than some basic manual pasta makers. But in my experience, the powerful motor, versatile rollers, and built-in cutters make this machine well worth the investment.
The convenience of being able to mix, knead, and shape multiple pasta types with the touch of a button can’t be beat – especially on busy weeknights. And the ease of use makes homemade pasta approachable even for beginners.
If you’re serious about upping your homemade pasta game, I wholeheartedly recommend adding this pasta maker to your kitchen arsenal. It’s the easiest way I’ve found to whip up fresh pasta for my family whenever the craving strikes.
– Powerful motor does all the work for you
– Interchangeable rollers allow you to make different pasta shapes
– Built-in cutters slice pasta evenly and consistently
– Fast mixing/kneading of dough right in the machine
– Extremely easy to use – just 3 simple steps
– Makes fresh pasta accessible for beginners
– Dishwasher-safe parts for quick clean-up
– Higher price point than basic manual pasta makers
– Parts may wear out over time with heavy use
– Can be loud when the motor is running
– Not ideal for large batches of pasta
– Dough chamber could be larger
Frequently Asked Questions
What types of flour can I use in this pasta maker?
You can use any type of flour, but 00 flour or semolina flour are best since they have high gluten content for elastic dough. All-purpose flour works well too.
How much pasta dough does this machine make at one time?
The mixing chamber holds enough dough to make about 1 pound of pasta. This yields approximately 4 servings.
Can I make pasta without eggs for vegan diets?
Yes, you can substitute the eggs in pasta dough with chickpea brine or a flax egg (1 tbsp flax meal + 3 tbsp water). The machine will knead and roll vegan dough just as easily.
Is homemade pasta better for you than store-bought pasta?
Definitely! Homemade pasta has fewer ingredients and no preservatives. You can also customize it to be gluten-free or incorporate alternative flours.
Do I need any special skills to use this pasta maker?
Nope, it’s designed to be fully automatic and easy to use for beginners! Just add your ingredients, press start, and the pasta maker does the hard work for you.
I hope this in-depth review gave you all the details on the Emeril Lagasse Pasta and Beyond pasta maker! Let me know if you have any other questions.
The Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker stands as a testament to excellence. As you’ve journeyed with us through the thorough exploration of its features, Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker reviews have revealed the undeniable allure of this kitchen treasure.
The Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker parts fit together seamlessly, ensuring you can embrace the pasta-making process without any hitches. The solution is elegant in its simplicity, empowering you to elevate your culinary prowess effortlessly.
With the provided Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker instructions, your culinary journey transcends the ordinary. Say goodbye to the tedium of pasta preparation and say hello to a world of gourmet delights, unlocked by this extraordinary kitchen companion. In the world of pasta makers, the Emeril Lagasse Pasta Maker shines, offering a treasure trove of possibilities for your culinary creations.